5/31/2006

Of Crankiness and Pooches...

So my friend told me that Craigslist has a great “free stuff” section. Granted this friend is also a bit of a hippy and likes to dumpster dive, I figured there’d be no harm in checking out the section. She knows I’m looking for a dining room table and that I don’t want to spend a lot of money on one because I’m probably going to strip it and stain it myself anyways. Yeah, I’m crafty like that. Anyways, I was surfing around the free stuff section and was incredibly appalled to see that people use this section to try to get rid of their pets. People are offering up their cats and dogs and hamsters, free for the taking to anyone who responds. I find this incredibly disturbing. It infuriates me. Actually, I think I’d go so far as to say it instills in me a semi-homicidal rage that makes me want to take a baseball bat to the offenders and shove it in certain areas that don’t see much light of day. How can anyone just give up a pet like that? How can anyone make the conscious decision to get a pet, which is in my eyes like welcoming a new member to your family, and then just offer it to anyone through a website? I mean I realize that sometimes things happen in life and circumstances change and sometimes it really can’t be helped and you must give away your pet. I should know, I had to give my kitten to my parents, and I miss him every day. But I had to give him to my parents because I had a roommate who had a bad relationship with honesty and told me I could have him in our apt. before I moved in, (otherwise I wouldn’t have moved in) then went out and bought a ridiculously expensive couch, and comes to me all “will your cat scratch the couch?” Duh bitch, he’s a little mischievous kitten always up to no good, and no I can’t afford to reupholster your Bauhaus couch. Then I had to move very suddenly (again, thanks to her bad relationship with honesty, morals, etc.) and had to find housing quickly. By that time my kitten was so used to being with my parents that it would have been cruel to take him back, after he had gotten used to a huge house and lots of company all day I couldn’t very well bring him into my empty studio apartment. I wanted him back very badly, but had to do what was in the best interest of the cat, and that was to leave him with the parentals. Well now that I think of it I guess it wouldn’t have made a difference anyways b/c the apartment I ended up moving into doesn’t allow pets, but I wouldn’t have brought him with me if it did. Wait, my point is, that while I realize sometimes shit happens and you can’t keep your pet and not everyone is lucky enough to have parents nearby that love animals, but don’t get a dog then realize suddenly “OMG I’M SO BUSY I HAVE A LIFE” and go on effin’ Craigslist to give it away all whining about not being able to pay enough attention to it b/c you are just that in demand. Oh and you want a home for your 20 year old cat? Did he get too old for you? Jesus, we are talking about pets, not a sofa, not a kitchen appliance, not something that you go to use when you have the time or trade in for a better model when you get bored. They are living, breathing, loving bundles of smelly poochy kisses and furry kitty paws that love you and when I see you trying to give it away on CL b/c you don't have time for it it makes me cry and I don't like crying at work. Fucking asshats. I just feel that offering your pet up for grabs on Craigslist because you no longer have time for it is disturbing and this is my blog, so what I say goes.

I’m horribly cranky today, in case you haven't noticed. The same Boy responsible for the dirty AIM conversations kept me up on the phone until around 5:30 in the morning. Oh look at how quick I am to blame him, I stayed up willingly as clearly I really enjoy talking to him, it's just that I usually wake up at 7/7:30 and such severe lack of sleep has me seeing double. Stupid job, getting in the way of my social life like that. I set like 8 alarms because I knew that once I did fall asleep I would have a hell of a time getting up in less than two hours, and as I suspected would happen, I did in fact manage to sleep through all of my alarms and was late to work, although not horribly late so only my supervisor noticed. This Boy is a trouble maker and I love it.

8 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I was checking out the free pets on CL too. What bothers me is those people who write stuff like "If no one takes it by friday, i'm taking it to the pound". As if you're responsible for it's death if you don't adopt it. Terrorists, man!

Plus, what is up with these people and really old pets. "15 years old, Blind in one eye and has feline diabetes, and failing kidneys...please adopt". WTF?

5/31/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger The Rev said...

I'd rather see them on craigslist than someone abandoning the pet in a field somewhere.

5/31/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger The Rev said...

And I agree with one thing... phone conversations are much better than AIM.

5/31/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Menace said...

HIN: Terrorists indeed. Bush needs to include them in his war on terror. DOWN WITH EVIL PET OWNERS! Trying to get rid of your pet when it is in it's last years is weak.

Steve: Ok ok I'd rather see them on CL then abandoning their pets in a field too, good point.

6/01/2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

By the way, thanks a lot for saving that Express for me. Can you email me at homeimprovementninja[AT]gmail[dot]com so that I can get in touch with you and figure out a way to get it from you.

6/02/2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger KassyK said...

I agree 100%...I am obsessed with my babygirl Chloe (fluffy cat) and the idea that people just give away pets makes me sick...I grew up with a cat and a dog and no matter what...if we had ever had to give them away...it would have been to family or friends that could TAKE care of them and we would be sure of it...right? Can I get an ammmen?

6/02/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Menace said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaamen Kassy. And my other cat's name is Chloe too! Well, technically, but ever since we brought her to the United States she's become one grumpy mo'fo so we tend to call her Bitch Cat more often than we call her Chloe.

6/02/2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

trouble is usually the most fun :)

i need my sleep, otherwise i'm miss crankyass.

damn that job getting in the way of your social life! fuck those fuckers! LMAO!

m

6/03/2006 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home