5/15/2006

The Lexus and the Anarchist Tree...

So I have decided that I adore riding the metro. I haven't had a choice in the past few days because my car has been in the shop, but today I opted to ride the metro instead of driving to work. I have decided that driving to work makes me an angry person, and besides, I like to people watch, and I like to do it even more when I have a nice angry soundtrack like Rage Against the Machine blasting from my headphones. I find it humorous to watch all these people looking so polished in their business suits with their briefcases while Zach de la Rocha is screaming "THESE PEOPLE AIN'T SEEN A BROWN SKINNED MAN SINCE THEIR GRANDPARENTS BOUGHT ONE." It entertains me, and as is often the case it doesn't make much sense, but who am I to quit doing something that entertains me?

Anyways, it seems that the advertising companies have taken it upon themselves to start advertising from within the metro tunnels. See, clearly it's not enough to plaster the sides of a Metro car with McDonalds adds, now Lexus and Lincoln have begun advertising from within the dank and dark depths of the mysterious tunnels beneath DC. It scared the shit out of me when I first noticed it, and it happened so quickly that it left me speechless for a few seconds, wondering to myself if I had in fact just seen a car or if I was just hallucinating from being really high and not realizing it. I could tell the guy sitting in front of me was experiencing a similar thing. From the way he kept shaking his head and pressing his nose to the glass, I was comforted to know I wasn't the only person mentally screaming "WTF WAS THAT?!!?!" It's quite brilliant really, it's like those flip books you used to play with as a kid. Well, at least I used to play with them, so I assume everyone has encountered a flip book at some point in their lives. You know, you flip them and the images on each page come to life in a jauntily animated sequence. That's what the adds do. This morning I was able to see some shiny rims on a Lincoln Navigator spin, and I was able to watch some new Lexus go for a leisurely spin down a winding road. I wonder how many people who ride the metro to work everyday would be able to afford a shiny new Lexus or Lincoln. Seems to me it would make more sense to stick with the McDonalds ads, or perhaps wireless service ads or something more useful to the general public. If I could afford a Lexus there's no way I'd be riding the Metro, angry driver or not, I'd be driving that Lexus everywhere man I guarantee it. Shit, I'd live in that car, it's probably roomier than my freakin' apartment.

Ah, life in a capitalist society.

7 Comments:

Blogger kob said...

Car ads in the Metro .. nice post.

5/16/2006 1:03 AM  
Blogger Wicketywack said...

Don't you think the ads are cool though?

"Ah, life in a capitalist society." - I've got news for you: there's no other society to speak of. Never will be.

5/16/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger E :) said...

I saw one of those ads for the first time on the weekend and it was freaky but oh so very cool...

5/16/2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger The Rev said...

Alright... you have my attention.

I drove my bosses Lexus SUV once. It was over $60,000 for that. There are people who have houses cheaper than that in this world. I was disgusted by that thought.

But damn, that Lexus drove real nice!

5/17/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

The first time I saw the ads, I let out an audible alarmed "uhh..." before looking back into the car to see if anyone else had seen what I just saw. Someone behind me chuckled - almost as if I was just doing what they did the first time they saw them.

Personally, I dislike metro very much (read: hate), so this is just another thing to add to the list.

5/17/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Those ads make no sense to me. I can't really make out what the ad says, so why is it even there?

5/17/2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Menace said...

I don't know how to directly comment to people. Does blogger let you do that? Is that a stupid question?

I do think the ads are pretty cool, if only b/c they remind me of flip books, which I clearly liked a lot as a kid.

And to Smokin' Steve, yeah it is kind of disgusting to think that the majority of the world makes less than the price of a Lexus in a year (myself included) but I can't say I wouldn't be tempted if I could afford it... I'm an evil capitalist. Of course, I'd buy a hybrid one, so I could save the environment and all that jazz.

5/17/2006 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home