5/30/2006

Stupid Flower Companies

Well apparently I can still find something to bitch about in the face of sadness.

I am trying to find some nice and tasteful flowers to send to my friend and her family. All I want is a simple bouquet of white lilies. That's all. Nothing flashy, nothing huge, just a handful of white lilies in a simple vase.

I do not want white lilies in some vase that has silver crosses all over it. I do not want a bouquet that is bigger than me that will cost me my first born. I do not want "Tropical Tribute" or "Ray of Sunshine" bouquets. I do not want anything that has ribbon tied around it that has the word "comfort" printed all over it. And "Tender Thoughts Teacup"... Are you fucking kidding me? Is this a joke? Do people actually send these? Are there a ton of morons in the world sending these bouquets in sympathy and therefore making them in higher demand and easier to find than a simple vase filled with white lilies? Who are these people? Do they breed? And more importantly, can we stop them?

Seriously, if someone sent me a floral arrangement that was tied with a ribbon that said "comfort" all over it, I think I would throw it at a wall.

I do not want to attempt to take away your pain through flowers. I cannot fathom the pain you are in, and I'm not going to try to act like I can make it better by sending you a Peace Lily that has a fucking ribbon wrapped around it printed with the word "comfort." (Clearly this particular arrangement really disturbed me.) I am not going to send you some bright and frothy melange of flowers in an attempt to "cheer you up". I do not want to send you a plant that will live on long after the funeral that you will now be faced with the responsibility of caring for, that may or may not remind you of how you aquired it every time you water it. I just want to send a simple, plain bouquet that informs you that I am sorry for your loss and that you and your family are in my prayers. Just tasteful white lilies. That's it. And of course I can't find this simple bouquet ANY-FUCKING-WHERE. If I see one more "tasteful" arrangement of floral vomit with a name like "Teary Tulips" or some shit I will scream.

11 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

try one of these

5/30/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Menace said...

Thank you so much, I-66, that's so kind of you! I did eventually end up finding some, it just took so much longer than I expected it to. Of course, it didn't occur to me to search specifically for white lilies until after much hunting and swearing, so perhaps I deserve my flora induced mini-rage. Sometimes I am a moron like that.

5/30/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger smialek316 said...

I agree, I have hadthe same problem in the past. All you want to do is show sympathy without making a Broadway production out of it. I feel your pain.

5/30/2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. Yeah, the flower thing sux. I think most people buy those for relatives of people at work whom they barely know.

When my friend's wife died on 9/11, if I had sent him a bunch of flowers with crosses all over it, he'd probably punch me in the face...and I'd have deserved it.

And what's up with the people at the funeral homes? Don't even get me started on those vultures.

5/30/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger The Rev said...

Send food instead. That's what I do. I'd rather comfort someone with a fruit basket. Flowers die, but fruit nourishes. Or a cake. That's always good. They can always use the food for the get-together after the funeral. It's very appropriate.

I have a real problem with the floral industry myself. I can't fathom how any company can charge so much money for an item that dies like that. It's a great racket they got.

5/31/2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

i find a lot of people do donations in leiu of flowers in memory. i'm sorry for your friends loss.

m

5/31/2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger KassyK said...

I've done donations as well...It is very hard to find something tasteful arrangement wise..the florist in my neighborhood is incredible and "gets it"...nothing frothy or anything like that. Its hard to know what is right and I applaud you for taking the time to REALLY think about something like that would already affect someone grieving.

5/31/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Sorry for you friends loss.

I agree on the flower thing. Its so hard to find just a simple bunch of flowers these days.

5/31/2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Menace said...

Thanks so much to everyone for your kind words.

I thought about waiting to find out if they were accepting donations anywhere in his honor but from what I gathered of the situation everything was just so up in the air that I felt it would be best to just go ahead and send flowers now.

5/31/2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger Silver Streak said...

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like they never have exactly what I'm looking for.

More flower arrangement information

11/24/2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger Rocsanne said...

When we look to send to others, we may think nothing is suitable, however, we never know what the receiving party would prefer... Abig arrangement? A small one? A hug and a shoulder to cry on? I think flowers say it all, while a donation is something too distant to warm one's heart...
Floral Arrangement

12/17/2006 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home